Welcome Readers!


"Hello" to all my regular readers and those who are here for the first time!
I hope that this blog enlightens and encourages those who read it but I also hope that it will wake up those who have been asleep to the clock that is ticking within our beautiful nation and within the body of Christ. It is my goal to glorify our Lord and share the Truth with anyone who will listen!
I pray that the Lord will give you strength and courage each day to do His will and to glorify Him. It seems to be getting harder and harder these days to keep our heads above water, but He does promise us that He will not allow the waters to overtake us! Praise Him for that promise!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Childlike OR Childish

Although these words are similar they have two very different meanings. Even the pictures that come to our minds when they are mentioned are different. I picture a spoiled person who throws tantrums and is impatient when I think of the latter. I don't have a feeling of warmth and love in my heart when I think of a childish person. But on the contrary, childlike behavior sets off in me a whole different emotion. I think of fun and lightheartedness. I conjure up imagery of laughter and giggles. It is no wonder that God's Word instructs us to be childlike not childish. The sad part is that I believe we see way too much childish behavior these days, in those who call themselves Christians.

If we are truly taking the Words of the Lord to heart, then we should at least be making an effort to reflect the "fruit of the Spirit" (see Galatians 5:22-23). Although "childlike" isn't listed as a "fruit", it can be inferred to mean some of the same. The Webster's definition of childlike is innocent and trusting. If we are living by the power of the Holy Spirit, then these two characteristics of childlike should be present. An innocent child is gentle and kind while their hearts are full of joy and love. Throw trusting into the equation and you get patience, peace and faithfulness. Does this describe the Christian who is in church on Sunday, but on Monday is impatiently honking their horn at the person driving the speed limit, all the while they have an "I love Jesus" bumper sticker on their car? How about the Mom who serves in the Sunday School ministry but during the Wednesday PTA meeting, complains that Mrs. Jones only brought half of the cookies for the bake sale that she promised to bring? Well, I'd say these are childish behaviors, wouldn't you? Webster's definition for childish is immature and foolish. If the shoe fits!

When I was a little girl I loved it when my Dad would push me on the swing. "Higher Dad, higher" I would sing. I trusted him and knew that he would push me as high as he could. I felt a joy in my heart then, that to this day I can still feel. I don't remember feeling that joy as an adult, that is until I gave my life to the Lord. I am learning how much better it feels to be childlike than childish. As long as we are clinging to the selfish desires of getting "our way" and what "we want", we will not be able to fully experience the lovely fruit of the Spirit. There are two main ways that we glorify and honor God: producing His fruit by the power of the Holy Spirit and sharing His fruit with others. There is one sure way to dishonor the Lord: by doing neither of these. What childish behaviors do you need to leave behind? What childlike behaviors do you want to embrace? Give some quiet time to the Lord and discuss these things with Him. He'll take it from there...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this and it is so true. We tend to excuse our childish behavior as though it is an expected reaction to a stimulus and nothing more. Its easier to lable our response with an excusable title, than to accept responsibility like an adult. -Chels

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cecelia. This was an eye opener for me.
Claudia